If you’re looking for effective, natural pain relief, Young Living’s Deep Relief and Panaway essential oil blends should be your first stop. But when should you use each one?
In this in-depth guide, we’ll uncover the key differences between Deep Relief and Panaway.
You’ll learn when each oil is the best choice for targeting your discomfort so you can experience their optimal soothing benefits.
An Overview of Deep Relief and Panaway Oils
Deep Relief and Panaway are proprietary essential oil blends exclusively created by Young Living. They both provide cooling comfort, aid healing, and help you regain your active lifestyle.
But their unique formulations make them better suited for different types and severities of pain.
Let’s look at what sets these two powerhouse blends apart.
Deep Relief Key Features
Deep Relief combines several pain-relieving essential oils known for their anti-inflammatory, analgesic properties:
- Wintergreen – Contains methyl salicylate, similar to aspirin
- Clove – Powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
- Peppermint – Cools, numbs discomfort
- Vetiver – Anti-inflammatory, circulatory stimulant
- Helichrysum – Tissue regenerator, analgesic
- Blue Tansy – Antihistamine, muscle relaxer
With its intensive concentration of menthol-rich oils, Deep Relief has an instantly recognizable strong, minty aroma.
It provides intensive comfort for severe discomfort and is highly valued by athletes, massage therapists, and those suffering from chronic pain.
Panaway Key Features
The Panaway blend contains:
- Wintergreen – Analgesic and stimulating
- Helichrysum – Anti-inflammation, analgesic
- Clove – Anesthetic, anti-microbial
- Peppermint – Cools and desensitizes
With less menthol-rich oils than Deep Relief, Panaway has a milder, lighter fragrance.
It’s renowned for supporting muscle recovery after exercise and soothing inflammation from injuries or overuse. Many massage therapists and physical therapists keep Panaway on hand for their clients.
Now that you have a general overview of Deep Relief and Panaway, let’s look more closely at each oil’s specific benefits and ideal uses. This will help you learn exactly when to use each one.
When to Use Deep Relief Essential Oil Blend
With its intensive formula, Deep Relief is highly effective at alleviating severe discomfort and easing chronic pain. Here are the top uses and benefits that make it the go-to choice over Panaway for intensive relief.
Chronic Pain Relief
Deep Relief is specially formulated to provide soothing comfort from ongoing, persistent pain. Chronic pain lingers for weeks, months, or even years and can be debilitating. Common chronic pain conditions Deep Relief can help manage include:
- Arthritis – Ease joint pain and inflammation
- Osteoarthritis – Reduce knee, hip and back discomfort
- Fibromyalgia – Relieve tender points and aching muscles
- Nerve pain – Diminish pain signals from damaged nerves
- Lower back pain – Support recovery and flexibility
- Sciatica – Decompress compressed sciatic nerve
- Carpal tunnel syndrome – Numb wrist and hand discomfort
Deep Relief supports relief by reducing inflammation in affected joints, nerves, and tissues when applied topically to painful areas. Its warming and numbing sensation blocks pain signals to the brain to diminish discomfort.
For chronic nerve pain, combine Deep Relief with stress relief oils like Valor or Frankincense. Relieving anxiety and muscle tension further aids neuropathic pain relief.
Soothe Muscle Cramps and Strains
After exercise, hard labor, or repetitive strain, overworked muscles often cramp and spasm. Deep Relief provides sweet relief for:
- Painful leg, foot, or hand cramps
- Muscle tightness and soreness
- Strained, overused muscles
- Lactic acid buildup after exercise
Thanks to its intensive concentration of analgesic and anti-inflammatory oils, Deep Relief quickly warms and desensitizes tense muscles. Increased circulation sweeps away painful lactic acid so muscles can fully relax and recover.
For best results, massage Deep Relief into affected muscles as soon as cramps or discomfort begin. Its rapid action helps muscles unknot before painful spasms worsen.
Tension Headache Relief
When your neck and shoulder muscles knot up from stress and poor posture, it can trigger agonizing tension headaches. Deep Relief’s minty aroma and cooling sensation helps release tight muscles that contribute to headache pain.
To use for tension headache relief:
- Apply Deep Relief diluted with V-6 or coconut oil to temples, forehead, neck and shoulders.
- Inhale deeply as you massage into tight muscles.
- Combine with Stress Away applied to back of neck and wrists to further relax muscles.
The menthol and mint oils in Deep Relief reduce headache pain by constricting blood vessels in the head for a numbing effect. As muscles loosen up, pain fades away.
Recovery from Injuries, Sprains, and Fractures
Deep Relief speeds up recovery following injuries like:
- Sprains and strains – Wrists, ankles, knees
- Fractures – Hand, arm, rib, foot bone fractures
- Low back injuries – Pulled muscles, slipped discs
- Whiplash – Neck muscle strains
- Tendonitis – Rotator cuff, wrist, elbow
Increase circulation and nutrient flow to damaged areas by massaging Deep Relief near, but not directly on, wounds. This aids tissue regeneration so you heal faster.
Deep Relief also prevents pain signals from reaching the brain. This provides immediate comfort following injuries when pain can be severe.
Pair with helichrysum to repair damaged nerves, muscles, and connective tissues after injuries.
Arthritis Discomfort Relief
For hands, knees, hips, and other joints affected by rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis, Deep Relief brings sweet relief by:
- Reducing inflammation in swollen, painful joints
- Numbing joint nerve endings to block pain signals
- Supporting circulation to deliver healing nutrients
- Loosening stiff, inflamed joints so you can move easier
Massage Deep Relief diluted with V-6 or olive oil onto affected joints to penetrate below the skin. Combine with clove and frankincense oils for added arthritis support.
Applying daily helps increase mobility and flexibility while reducing flare-ups.
As you can see, Deep Relief’s unique properties make it highly effective for severe, chronic, nerve and joint pain. Next let’s explore the top uses for Panaway when quick soothing comfort is needed.
When to Use the Panaway Essential Oil Blend
With its milder aroma and gentler action, Panaway is the better choice over Deep Relief when you need relief fast from minor to moderate muscle aches, strains, and bruising.
Keep reading to learn the top ways Panaway’s anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties support active lifestyles.
Sore Muscle Relief After Exercise
Panaway is a gym bag essential for relieving post-workout muscle soreness. Microtears and lactic acid buildup in exercised muscles cause stiffness and aching. Panaway helps speed relief so you bounce back faster.
Massage diluted Panaway onto sore muscles immediately after your workout or the next morning when delayed onset muscle soreness peaks.
Panaway decreases inflammation and sensitizes pain receptors for quick relief from:
- Tight, stiff muscles after lifting weights
- Sore thighs and calves from running
- Aching shoulders and back from swimming
- Sore core from abs and yoga class
Pair Panaway with peppermint oil for an extra cooling sensation on fiery muscles.
Did you bump your hip on the car door? Whack your elbow on the kitchen counter? Panaway helps bruises heal faster so you don’t have to put up with sore, discolored splotches on your skin for weeks.
Apply 1-2 drops diluted with coconut oil directly onto bruises to:
- Increase blood flow to clear damaged blood cells
- Reduce inflammation around injured capillaries
- Prevent pain, tenderness, and swelling
Panaway’s anti-inflammatory action also helps prevent ugly bruising after minor bumps and falls.
Soothe Joint Pain
For mild joint discomfort from repetitive strain or aging joints, Panaway provides soothing relief. It helps ease pain in wrists, knees, elbows, and fingers caused by:
- Typing strain and texting thumb
- Kneeling in the garden
- Years of wear and tear
Rub diluted Panaway onto sore joints to penetrate tissue, numb nerve endings, and improve flexibility. Pair with copaiba and frankincense for added joint support.
Relief from Tendonitis
Tendons become inflamed and irritated from athletic overuse or repetitive strain injuries (like tennis elbow or Achilles tendonitis). Panaway reduces swelling and pain when applied to tender tendons in the:
It speeds healing so you can get back to your usual activities pain-free.
Soothe Minor Sports Injuries
Panaway is a star treatment for minor sports bumps and pains. Keep it on the sidelines to provide quick relief from:
- Strained or pulled muscles
- Golf swing elbow soreness
- Sore shoulders from racket sports
- Swollen knees or ankles after a fall
Panaway cools and soothes aches while reducing inflammation so you recover faster. Massage into affected areas immediately after an injury occurs to prevent worsening.
Everyday Muscle Relief
For sore muscles from gardening, housework, parenting duties, or just sleeping crooked – Panaway offers quick relief. It’s gentle enough for daily use on minor aches yet potent enough to soothe serious discomfort from strenuous activity.
Gently rub onto sore backs, necks, shoulders, legs, and other overworked areas as needed for soothing comfort.
As you can see, Panaway’s versatility makes it the goto oil blend for relief from minor to moderate muscle and joint discomforts.
Now that you understand the benefits and best uses of Deep Relief and Panaway individually, let’s do a quick recap on how they compare.
Comparing Deep Relief and Panaway Oils
Choosing between Deep Relief and Panaway depends on several factors:
Scent Profile and Experience
- Deep Relief has a strong, penetrating minty aroma.
- Panaway has a milder, lighter scent.
Speed of Action
- Deep Relief kicks in very quickly – usually within minutes.
- Panaway has a slightly gentler, slower onset.
Duration of Effects
- Deep Relief lasts for several hours.
- Panaway typically works for 1-2 hours.
Intensity of Relief
- Deep Relief tackles severe, chronic discomfort.
- Panaway supports mild to moderate muscle aches or bruises.
Use Together or Separately
- Use Deep Relief first for intense relief, then Panaway to maintain it.
- Or combine them together for enhanced pain-fighting benefits.
- Deep Relief blends well with helichrysum, frankincense, and Valor.
- Panaway combines nicely with peppermint and copaiba.
So in summary:
- Need intensive relief from chronic pain? Reach for Deep Relief.
- Want mild soothing comfort from exercise or minor injuries? Panaway is your oil.
- Experiencing moderate discomfort or flare-ups? Use them together for dual action.
Keep reading for tips on using these oils together or separately for tailored relief.
Using Deep Relief and Panaway Together or Separately
Having both Deep Relief and Panaway in your collection gives you options to target pain based on severity. Here are some tips on using them separately or together.
Use Deep Relief First, Then Follow With Panaway
When you’re in severe pain from arthritis, nerve damage, or injury recovery, start with Deep Relief for intensive rapid relief. Once the worst discomfort subsides, switch to Panaway for continued mild soothing. The two oils can tag-team your pain!
Use Panaway for Ongoing Maintenance
After an initial period of using Deep Relief to treat severe chronic pain, use Panaway daily going forward to maintain comfort. This helps prevent flare-ups so pain stays under control.
Use Separately for Different Types of Pain
Use Deep Relief at night on your sciatic nerve or arthritic hip to relieve nerve and joint pain so you can sleep. Use Panaway during the day on stiff shoulders or sore lower back muscles that ache from poor posture.
Combine for Enhanced Effects
Add a drop of Panaway to Deep Relief when rubbing onto painful areas. The combination provides intense rapid relief with ongoing mild comfort. They synergize to increase effectiveness.
Alternate Morning and Evening
Rotate between Deep Relief at night for intensive relief while sleeping, and Panaway in the morning if pain is milder after rest. This keeps discomfort in check for 24-hour coverage.
Know When to Use Each One
Keep this summary handy:
- Chronic nerve pain – Deep Relief
- Sore muscles from exercise – Panaway
- Arthritis joint flare-ups – Deep Relief
- Bruises from falls – Panaway
- Tension headaches – Deep Relief
- Minor sports injuries – Panaway
Everyone’s pain relief needs are a little different. Play around with alternating and combining Deep Relief and Panaway to find your perfect pain-fighting protocol.
Lifestyle Tips for Natural Pain Relief
While Deep Relief and Panaway provide fast topical relief, lifestyle measures further reduce pain and inflammation long-term. Here are some tips:
Good posture reduces strain on muscles and joints. Stand tall, keep your chin tucked, shoulders back, and core engaged.
Low-impact, moderate exercise like swimming, walking, or yoga strengthens muscles to support joints for less discomfort.
Gentle stretching maintains joint and muscle flexibility for better functionality and range of motion.
Maintain a Healthy Weight
Extra weight puts excessive pressure on the joints, worsening arthritis and low back pain.
Use Good Body Mechanics
Lift properly by bending knees, keeping back straight, and holding objects close to avoid injury.
Warm Up Before Exercise
Warming muscles prevents strains and reduces post-exercise soreness.
Anxiety and tension worsen pain. Try meditating, deep breathing, or diffusing calming scents like lavender.
Get Enough Rest
Recharge strained muscles and nerves with 7-9 hours of quality sleep nightly.
Following healthy habits reduces flare-ups so you can feel your best. But when pain does strike, reach for Deep Relief or Panaway essential oils for fast relief.
I hope this complete guide gives you confidence deciding when to use Young Living’s Deep Relief or Panaway oil blends.
Here’s a quick summary of the key points:
- Deep Relief provides intensive relief for chronic nerve and joint pain.
- Panaway supports speedy recovery from muscle aches, strains, and bruises.
- Use Deep Relief for severe discomfort, Panaway for mild to moderate aches.
- They can be combined or alternated as needed.
Relieving pain naturally with essential oils helps you avoid the side effects of pain medications.
Be proactive by using Deep Relief or Panaway at the first sign of discomfort for best effects. With these two powerhouse blends in your collection, you can say goodbye to debilitating pain and get back to doing what you love!