Dealing with unpleasant odors in your RV toilet and holding tank can really put a damper on your camping trip. From foul sewage smells to lingering bathroom odors, it’s important to keep your RV sanitation system fresh.
The best way to combat unpleasant RV toilet odors is by using a holding tank deodorizer and treatment regularly.
RV toilet deodorizers offer many benefits beyond just odor control. They help break down toilet waste and toilet paper, keeping your tank sensors functioning properly and preventing troublesome clogs. With so many options on the market, from packets to liquids to convenient pods, it can be tricky finding the right product for your needs.
In this guide, we’ll review the 10 best RV toilet deodorizers for eliminating odors and keeping your black tank operating smoothly. For each of the top products, we’ll overview the key features, pros and cons, and tips for getting the most out of each deodorizer.
Read on to find the perfect RV toilet treatment for your next camping trip!
How RV Toilet Deodorizers Work
Before diving into the product reviews, let’s look at how RV holding tank deodorizers actually work to control odors and dissolve solid waste.
Most toilet deodorizers contain active ingredients and compounds that counteract the bacteria responsible for producing nasty odors in your tank. Enzyme, bacterial, or chemical agents break down waste particles and neutralize odor-causing compounds. This stops smelly gases from forming and permeating into the RV interior.
Deodorizers also help liquefy solid waste and toilet paper accumulation in the holding tank. As waste builds up, gases have a harder time venting properly, resulting in increased odors. The active ingredients help dissolve toilet paper, sludge, and other solid particles, allowing proper ventilation and reducing odors.
Using an RV holding tank treatment regularly is key to maintaining freshness and preventing future issues. The active ingredients need time to work at breaking down waste, so consistent treatment is important.
Now let’s look at 10 of the most popular RV toilet deodorizers and holding tank treatments on the market today. We’ll help you select the best product for controlling odors, cleaning your tank, and keeping your RV sanitation system in tip-top shape!
Best RV Toilet Deodorizers
- Walex Porta-Pak Holding Tank Deodorizer Drop-Ins
- BRODYS RV and Marine Sensor Cleaner
- Camco TST MAX Toilet Treatment Drop-Ins
- Rid-X Holding Tank Deodorizer Pacs
- Walex Bio-Pak RV Black Holding Tank Deodorizer/Digester
- Green Gobbler Holding Tank Deodorizer and Treatment Pods
- Walex Porta-Pak RV Black Holding Tank Deodorizer Drop-Ins
- Century Chemical Travel Jon Holding Tank Deodorizer/Cleaner
- RV Holding Tank Deodorizer + Septic Tank Treatment Packets by Firebelly Outfitters
- Valterra V22002 Pure Power Waste Digester and Odor Eliminator
Walex Porta-Pak Holding Tank Deodorizer Drop-Ins
Formaldehyde-free deodorizing packets designed for RV and portable toilets. Features a clean linen scent and commercial-strength odor control. Comes in pre-packaged pods for convenience.
- Provides powerful odor control even in extreme temperatures
- Pre-measured packets prevent spills and mistakes
- Made in the USA formula
- Limited to only use as packets
- Floral linen scent may not appeal to everyone
Tips for Use: Simply toss one Porta-Pak pod into the toilet bowl per treatment for up to 40 gallons. These convenient drop-in style deodorizers require no measuring or pouring. They work instantly to control odors and break down toilet waste. The strong commercial formula keeps working even in very hot or cold conditions.
BRODYS RV and Marine Sensor Cleaner
Description: Liquid RV holding tank treatment designed to fix sensors, prevent clogs, and control odors. Features a bio-enzyme formula safe for RV and marine waste systems.
- Cleans and maintains tank level sensors
- Eco-friendly, biodegradable formula
- Made in the USA quality you can trust
- Treats both black and grey tanks
- Liquid form can be messy to pour
- Mainly focused on clearing sensors, not odor control
Tips for Use: BRODYS Sensor Cleaner is ideal for keeping onboard your RV or boat. Use regularly as a maintenance treatment to keep sensors operating accurately and prevent solid waste buildup. The eco-friendly formula quickly breaks down toilet paper and cleans stubborn buildup from sensor probes. Pour into tank via the toilet bowl and flush to coat entire tank.
Camco TST MAX Toilet Treatment Drop-Ins
Septic-safe RV toilet deodorizing packets infused with a citrus scent. Features an ultra-concentrated formula to treat tanks up to 40 gallons.
- Highly concentrated septic-safe formula
- Made in the USA and trusted by RVers
- One pod treats up to a 40-gallon tank
- Infused with a pleasant citrus fragrance
- Only available as dissolvable pods
- Citrus scent may be overpowering for some
Tips for Use: Camco TST MAX pods are a set-it-and-forget-it toilet treatment. Simply toss one pod into the bowl per 40 gallons before use. The super concentrated formula dissolves slowly and provides odor control for up to seven days. It’s septic tank safe and biodegradable. For best results, stock up on these popular pods before your camping trips.
Rid-X Holding Tank Deodorizer Pacs
Liquid holding tank deodorizing pods packed with patented bacteria and enzymes. Scientifically proven to break down toilet waste and paper.
- Specialized formula with patented bacteria/enzymes
- Pleasant citrus scent
- Easy to use liquid pods
- May not provide as strong odor control as some products
Tips for Use: Rid-X Deodorizer Pacs make it easy to treat your RV or boat holding tank. Simply drop one pre-measured liquid pod into the toilet bowl before use. Be sure to shake the pod first to activate the ingredients. The powerful enzymes will immediately get to work breaking down waste and controlling odors.
Walex Bio-Pak RV Black Holding Tank Deodorizer/Digester
Convenient holding tank deodorizer pods infused with a natural enzyme formula. Features an ocean mist scent and is safe for all septic systems.
- Deodorizes tanks and digests waste
- Pre-measured pods for convenience
- Natural enzyme formula is septic safe
- Eco-friendly and biocide-free
- Limited to just an ocean mist scent
- May need supplementing for stronger odor control
Tips for Use: Walex Bio-Pak pods provide a one-step treatment for deodorizing and digesting waste. Simply toss one pre-measured pod into the toilet bowl before use. The natural enzymes go to work breaking down waste while neutralizing unpleasant odors. It’s safe for all septic systems and won’t harm the environment.
Green Gobbler Holding Tank Deodorizer and Treatment Pods
Powerful odor eliminating pods specially designed for RV, marine, and portable toilets. Uses a concentrated formula to digest waste and prevent clogs.
- Eliminates odors at the source
- Digests and liquefies solid waste buildup
- Prevents clogs and obstructions
- Unscented formula suitable for all applications
- Easy to use pre-measured pods
- Lack of added fragrance may be inadequate for some smelly tanks
- Only available in dissolvable pod form
Tips for Use: Green Gobbler pods provide a quick and convenient one-step treatment for deodorizing and waste digestion. Simply drop one pod into the toilet bowl before use and flush – that’s it! The powerful active ingredients get to work eliminating odors and preventing problematic clogs and buildup.
Walex Porta-Pak RV Black Holding Tank Deodorizer Drop-Ins, 2-pack
Convenient and portable holding tank deodorizer packets designed for RV and portable toilets. Provides premium odor control and waste digestion.
- Strong odor prevention specialized for portable sanitation
- Pre-measured packets are convenient for travel
- Trusted brand used worldwide
- Floral scent can be overpowering
- Formula is concentrated in packet form only
Tips for Use: Walex Porta-Pak packets are designed for portable toilets and smaller waste tanks. Toss one packet into the bowl per treatment, and it will immediately get to work controlling odors and breaking down tissue and waste. The intense commercial-grade formula is perfect for portable camp toilets and holding tanks up to 40 gallons.
Century Chemical Travel Jon Holding Tank Deodorizer/Cleaner
Liquid RV holding tank treatment and deodorizer designed to break down waste and control odors. Features a strong lemon scent and concentrated formula.
- Clings to tank walls to treat entire waste system
- Breaks down sludge and solid buildup
- Formaldehyde-free formula
- Strong chemical lemon scent may be overpowering
- Not environmentally friendly ingredients
Tips for Use: Century Chemical Travel Jon Deodorizer provides a maximum strength treatment in liquid form. Pour into the toilet bowl and flush to coat the entire tank interior. The clinging action provides full contact to dissolve stubborn waste buildup and sludge. Use regularly to deodorize and keep tanks clean.
RV Holding Tank Deodorizer + Septic Tank Treatment Packets by Firebelly Outfitters
Formaldehyde-free and biodegradable RV holding tank treatment packets. Features a mulberry scent and treats tanks up to 40 gallons.
- Provides superior odor control
- Eco-friendly and formaldehyde-free
- Treats tanks up to 40 gallons
- Biodegradable formula
- Mulberry scent may not appeal to all
- Only available as dissolvable packets
Tips for Use: Firebelly Outfitters Septic Tank Treatment Packets offer a convenient, eco-friendly option for RV holding tank maintenance. Simply toss one packet into the toilet per 40 gallons to treat odors, dissolve waste, and clean the tank walls. The powerful enzyme formula is safe for all toilet parts and plumbing systems.
Valterra V22002 Pure Power Waste Digester and Odor Eliminator
High-strength liquid holding tank treatment designed to eliminate odors and break down solid waste.
- Maximum odor elimination
- Digests and liquefies waste
- Liquid formula treats entire tank
- Strong chemical fragrance
- Not an environmentally friendly formula
Tips for Use: Valterra Pure Power provides industrial-strength treatment for extremely smelly RV waste tanks. Pour into the toilet bowl and flush to coat the entire tank interior. Powerful enzymes get to work dissolving solid buildup and eliminating unpleasant odors. Use regularly to prevent odors and keep tanks clean.
When to Use RV Toilet Deodorizers
Now that we’ve covered the top toilet deodorizers and treatments, let’s discuss when you should be treating your RV’s holding tank system.
The most important times to use an RV toilet deodorizer and treatment are:
- Before Long Trips: Treating your tank before heading out on a long trip helps prevent unpleasant odors and clogs. The enzymes and bacteria get time to work dissolving solids.
- Before Storage: Adding a treatment before storing your RV helps keep the tanks fresh and prevents buildup over time. It also controls odors.
- When Odors Arise: If you start noticing septic smells, quickly treat the tank to eliminate odors and prevent worsening issues.
- Regular Maintenance: Using deodorizer treatments regularly (such as monthly) provides optimal odor control and waste digestion.
Ideally, you should add RV holding tank treatment every time you empty the tanks. Pouring into a freshly emptied tank allows the product to thoroughly coat the tank walls and valves. This provides maximum odor elimination and waste breakdown.
Be sure to follow the label directions for proper dosage based on your tank size. One pack may treat multiple flushes, so check the specifications. With regular use, your RV toilet and tanks will stay fresh and running smoothly!
Are RV Toilet Deodorizers Necessary?
While RV holding tank deodorizers provide important benefits, you may be wondering – are they really necessary?
For some RVers, toilet deodorizers are an absolute must-have. If you commonly deal with strong sewage smells or clogging issues, these products can be lifesavers. However, for those with relatively odor-free and well-functioning waste tanks, deodorizers may not be mandatory.
It’s a good idea to use RV toilet treatments if any of the following apply:
- Your toilet or tank has chronic unpleasant odors
- You notice buildup slowing your drain valves
- Your tank sensors constantly give false readings
- You want to maintain freshness between uses
However, with proper toilet maintenance, adequate water usage, and ventilation, some RVers report not needing to regularly treat their tanks.
The bottom line?
While not absolutely necessary in all cases, most RVers can benefit from periodically using RV holding tank treatments. But feel free to test not using deodorizers if you have no odor or functionality issues. You can always add treatment later on if problems arise.
Hopefully this guide has helped you choose the best RV toilet deodorizer and treatment for your needs. Here are some key tips to keep in mind:
- Look for a product that fits your goals – odor control, waste breakdown, or sensor cleaning. Many offer dual-action.
- Consider pre-measured convenience packets or pods for simplicity, or liquid formulas for maximum coating.
- Make sure any scented products have fragrances you find pleasant. Unscented works for some.
- Research eco-friendly options like enzyme or bacterial formulas to reduce your environmental impact.
- Treat fresh tanks regularly on long trips or before storage for optimal results.
- Follow all label instructions carefully for proper dosage and usage.
With the right holding tank treatment, keeping your RV toilet and plumbing running smoothly doesn’t have to be a hassle. No more holding your nose – just pleasantly fresh sanitation systems wherever you roam!
Which RV holding tank deodorizer works best for you? Let us know your experiences in the comments below!